15 Low-Cost Self-Care Activities
Welcome to the new year, friends! 2023 will find me embracing new technologies and being more consistent in incorporating some self care rituals into my day to day life. So in the spirit of those big goals (and with full disclosure) this post will be combining my own personal musings, some AI assistance and a countdown style list to share with you some amazing self-care ideas for the new year. So let’s get into it!
As we say goodbye to the indulgences of the past few weeks, it's important to remember to take care of ourselves as we embark on another year of hustle and bustle. Self-care doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming, and it's something we can all benefit from no matter how busy our schedules may be.
So here are 15 low-cost self-care activities that busy people can do to kick off the new year on a positive note:
1. Take a hot bath or shower. There's nothing like a good soak to relax the mind and rejuvenate the body. Light some candles, put on some soothing music, and let the stress of the day melt away. If you get really adventurous you can even mix in some Epsom salts and essential oils. Epsom salts can help soothe sore muscles, while essential oils can help you relax and unwind.
2. Go for a walk, run, or a skate. Exercise is a great way to release endorphins and get some fresh air. Plus, it's free! For a change of scenery venture into a new neighborhood or unfamiliar park. If you’re winter weather adverse like I am, take a stroll around your local campus.
3. Practice mindfulness. Take a few minutes to sit in silence and focus on your breath. This simple practice can help reduce stress and increase feelings of calm and clarity. Looking for more direction? There are plenty of free guided mindfulness sessions and mindfulness apps in the app stores of your choice.
4. Write in a journal. Jotting down your thoughts and feelings can be therapeutic and help you process your emotions.
5. Call a friend or loved one. Connecting with others is important for our mental health and can provide a sense of support and encouragement.
6. Do something creative. Whether it's painting, drawing, writing, or playing an instrument, engaging in a creative activity can be a fun and fulfilling way to express yourself. Did we mention starting a podcast?
7. Cook a healthy meal. Nourishing your body with wholesome, nourishing food is a form of self-care that can also boost your mood and energy levels. I recommend a spicy stir-fry! So easy to change it up and basically every combination is oh so tasty!
8. Have a movie marathon with your favorite comfort food. Pop some popcorn, cuddle up with a blanket, and escape into a good film (or five) and by film we’re talking cheesy 90’s rom-coms or whatever your personal vice may be.
9. Get a good night's sleep. Sleep is essential for our physical and mental well-being, so be sure to prioritize it. Personally, I haven’t figured this one out yet, but if you do, holla atcha boy!
10. Practice gratitude. Taking a few moments to reflect on the things you're thankful for can help you focus on the positive aspects of your life and cultivate a sense of contentment. In our house we try and list 3 things we are grateful for from that particular day. Though I was skeptical at first it’s definitely increased the positivity in my overall outlook.
11. Take a break from screens. Spending too much time in front of screens can be draining, so make sure to unplug and give your eyes and brain a rest.
12. Treat yourself to a low-cost indulgence. Whether it's a fancy coffee, a scented candle, or a new pair of socks, allowing yourself a small treat can be a simple but effective way to show yourself some love. My personal vice is sour candies and yes I know fruit and seaweed are healthier…
13. Get outside. Nature has a way of soothing the mind and rejuvenating the spirit, so take a few moments to enjoy the beauty of the world around you. I’m sure this is a big one for all you cabin people, but even us “city folk” can pull it off by visiting a local park or sitting outside late at night when the rest of the rest of the world has gone quiet and still. This is one of my favorite ways to disconnect and recharge.
14. Get off the grid. Set your phone to DND and read a book or listen to some music or a podcast. Engage your mind and unwind with a good story or informative conversation. Psst… try Scars and Lemonade! Wink wink, nudge nudge.
15. Take a hot beverage and sit by the fireplace or in a cozy spot in your home. This is a great way to relax and unwind after a long day. My go to spot is in front of our holiday tree when the house is quiet and the lights are dimmed.
As the holiday season has come and gone, we here at Scars and Lemonade hope you all had a fun and festive end to the year. May your new year be filled with laughter, love, and all the self-care your heart desires. We hope that you'll remember to take some time for yourself and prioritize your well-being in 2023. Happy New Year!